Last week Apple unveiled the new iPhone 5, but what new features does it offer the business professional, is it a business phone and is it worth the purchase or upgrade?
This blog highlights 6 of the new features aimed at the business user:
1. Fast A6 processor – Apple say the A6 processor is “up to twice as fast compared with the A5 chip” which is currently in the iPhone 4S and “offers graphics performance that’s up to twice as fast as the A5.” The new processor will enable apps to launch quicker, web pages to load faster, and photos and graphics to display more quickly. Anything that saves time is good for business.
2. Metal back case – The iPhone 5 changes from a glass back plate, which was used on the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, to a metal back plate. This is the first metal back plate since the original iPhone in 2007. This will make the phone sturdier and result in fewer replacements when getting dropped.
3. Battery life improvement – Apple say the new iPhone 5 will get 8 hours of talk time, 10 hours of video playback time, and 8 hours of web browsing time over 4G. This ensures major battery life improvement for web browsing, a big plus for business use on the move.
4. Larger screen – The most noticeable change from the iPhone 4/S is the new screen size; it’s stretched from 3.5 inches to 4 inches. The aspect ratio has also changed from 4×3 to 16×9. This offers more room for reading and viewing on the screen, Apple claim ”By making the screen taller but not wider, you can see more of your content but still comfortably use it with one hand.”
5. Improved Audio – The iPhone 5 has a number of new features to improve audio quality. There are now 3 microphones as opposed to 2, these are on the bottom, front, and back of the phone. It also features wideband audio, also known as HD Voice. All of these features will help improve call quality, especially in noisy environments. Using the iPhone5 as a conference phone in meetings will be a much clearer, professional experience.
6. Faster 4G capability – Probably the best new feature for business users is the inclusion of 4G. With 4G being released shortly in the UK, this will enable very quick downloads of documents, images, spread sheets and presentations, as well as fast streaming of video and super-fast browsing.
We think Apple have done well to fit so much power into an even slimmer design. Using an iPhone 5 for business will definitely be a faster, more productive experience. With the bigger, clearer screen and faster processing and connectivity, we are sold and have already pre-ordered ours for delivery next week!